The Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy provides guidance and direction in the development, implementation, and maintenance of consistent, company-wide compliance with applicable laws, regulations, and policies related to privacy and data governance matters. As part of these efforts, the Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy is responsible for the management and ongoing development of The Home Depot’s Privacy and Data Governance Programs to support business initiatives and transactions and to evaluate the same for compliance with relevant laws and regulations and organizational policies and procedures.
The Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy works with cross-functional partners to drive the continued implementation of The Home Depot’s Privacy and Data Governance Programs, including developing and enhancing corporate policies and business-specific processes and procedures related to privacy and data governance. The Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy collaborates with IT Security to manage the company’s privacy and data security training program, including development and execution of activities to promote privacy awareness within the company. He/she serves as the subject matter expert to the company on issues of data governance and provides expert advice and strategic operational guidance to all functions across the company. He/she collaborates with other members of the Legal Department and business functions to analyze and assist with pertinent privacy and data governance aspects of legal agreements. He/she oversees or assists with and helps investigate, manage and mitigate privacy incidents, complaints, or breaches.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- The main purpose of this position is to collaborate with the Data Governance business team to drive creation and implementation of enterprise-wide cross-functional initiatives bridging both the legal and technical aspects of data governance, including collaborating with business teams on projects that involve any of the upstream or downstream data flows and processes.
- Provide counsel, strategic advice and business guidance on privacy and data governance matters across all lines of a dynamic retail business, with specific emphasis on supporting the company’s data strategy and issues related to customer communications and analytics.
- Drive thought leadership of, develop, and implement data governance strategies and processes to ensure the classification, confidentiality, privacy, security, retention, and lawful disposition of customer and employee data.
- Collaborate with Legal, Privacy, Data Governance, Operations, Internal Audit, Compliance, IT, and other business units to enhance and mature already existing programs consistent with established frameworks.
- Guide, advise, and develop best practices for the application of data governance principles to enterprise-wide initiatives.
- Provide guidance on compliance with global data governance, privacy and data security laws, regulations, industry standards, self-regulatory requirements, and best practices applicable to the retail industry (primarily North America).
- Review and negotiate privacy and data governance contractual issues that arise in a wide variety of commercial transactions.
- Assist the Chief Privacy Officer in the execution and continuous improvement of The Home Depot’s Privacy and Data Governance Programs, including policies and procedures as they relate to customers and associates.
- Understand the technologies that create data governance and privacy challenges and keep current on legislative, judicial and regulatory data governance and privacy and data security developments in order to understand and communicate the effect of such developments on The Home Depot’s business.
- Provide perspective on legislative, regulatory, or other policy initiatives as needed by Government Relations Team and Chief Privacy Officer.
- Assist the Incident Response Team in the review and coordination of potential privacy or data security incidents, including investigations, notifications, and other resolution eﬀorts.
- Develop and deliver privacy and data security training and awareness programs.
NATURE AND SCOPE
- Typically reports to Chief Privacy Officer. This position has no direct reports.
ENVIRONMENTAL JOB REQUIREMENTS
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
- Typically requires overnight travel less 5% to 20% of the time.
Additional Environmental Job Requirements:
- Located in a comfortable indoor area.
- Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.